[opendtv] Re: News: Reps. Barton, Stearns Offer Alternative DTV Bill

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:54:08 -0500

> No doubt, you're referring to 8-VSB and MPEG-2. Yeah, I sort
> of agree. Although TV was an established service that everyone
> already depended on, back in 1991, whereas the Internet grew
> out of nothing. The situation now is not so different, though.

To clarify, what I'm saying is that ATSC had to be dropped in as a
working, end-to-end, FOTA TV service, right from the start. Because TV
already had a long history, and it was ubiquitous. That's why certain
aspects of this new DTT had to be standardized initially, while other
aspects did not.

The physical layer all the way up to the application layer, for TV
service, certainly had to be a standard right away. Data service details
did not, and were not.

The ATSC took this tack, as did DVB-T. Too bad the world can't agree on
one TV standard. Or for that matter, one digital radio standard.

In contrast, the World Wide Web didn't even exist in 1991. So no one
could complain if the IETF didn't mandate use of HTML in 1991, eh?