[opendtv] Re: News: Reps. Barton, Stearns Offer Alternative DTV Bill

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:14:45 -0800

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Larry Bloomfield <Larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> About ten years ago when I lived and worked in Silicon Valley, I saw a
> Statistically Multiplexed system at a French owned company. they were
> running twelve channels of video of comparable quality to anything on the
> air in analog. It was rather impressive, to say the least. I don't recall
> the name of that company, but there was also an Asian company near there
> that was running six channels, one of which was reported to be in hi def. I
> only spoke to the principals there, but never saw it in action.

One of my demos at a prior employer was to run 10-15 ~ 1-1.5Mbit
windows media streams as datacasts through a single ATSC mux/mod to PC
receivers. Of course being PC-based one could get away with
non-standard resolutions in the media players i.e. '480p' @ 640x360.
That was.. 1999(?).. and no-one seemed to 'get it', even when running
side by side with a 1 HD / 1 SD MPEG2 multiplex. Course, selling it
wasn't my problem, I am only interested in the technical aspects - but
the reactions (from broadcasters and non-technical colleagues) were
amusing, nevertheless.

Cheers
Kon