[opendtv] Re: News: Northwest Station Pulls Signal In Retransmission Battle

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:35:55 -0500

At 7:27 PM -0500 1/5/07, Tom Barry wrote:
It still seems strange that a local no-news, minimal-local-content NBC affiliate could not be set up properly. I wonder if that campus cable system is analog only or something, thus limiting the advantage of HD NBC cable. Do students and campus residents use STB's?

Somehow I'll bet that local campus cable is the wild card in the equation killing the need for OTA.

Apparently not. Looks like there is no connection with Cox Cable, but they must have a few satellite downlinks. It is an older analog system and student can get about 35 channels for $15/mo.

The only broadcast stations they carry are the locals that they can receive via an antenna. They do not have NBC, CW or My TV. But they do have an interesting lineup of international channels including Al Jazeera. They have a bunch of channels that we cannot get from Cox.

Here's a link to the service including the channel line-up.

 http://video.ufl.edu/cctv.html