[opendtv] Re: News: Northwest Station Pulls Signal In Retransmission Battle

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:14:14 -0500

How do the laws work on this? Is Gainesville somehow still by law the exclusive territory of WESH? Or is it just a deal between Cox and WESH where when contracts expire Cox could cut a deal for the national network NBC if negotiations fail? If WESH can't be received locally it doesn't seem fair they could restrict my ability to get NBC/HD somewhere else (Cox willing).

- Tom

I do. It's really very simple, Tom. The fact is, in Gainesville you
don't have the CW network, or My Network TV, or NBC as OTA options. So
what does the cable company have to fear? Nothing. You have no way of
getting that content in any way other than with cable (maybe DBS), so
they have no incentive whatever to offer these broadcasters in HD.

Not true. the CW is a sub-channel on WCJB-DT. My network TV is a sub-channel on WGFL-DT. NBC is not in this market because the network refuses to sign up an affiliate, choosing instead to protect the distribution agreement between WESH in Orlando and Cox cable.

Why Gainesville residents don't raise a stink about this is what I don't
understand. Who is on the take over there, keeping OTA broadcasting
restricted to its 1950s era level of choice?

Pure economics Bert. with 93% cable penetration there is little reason to expand OTA options, and NBC.WESH are obviously the ones on the take.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com