[opendtv] Re: News: Northwest Station Pulls Signal In Retransmission Battle

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:35:53 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> That is the main point to me. I assume the nets recognize this
> and will probably be accordingly less demanding to affiliates
> about it in the future.

That seems logical. The real function of an affiliate these days, as far
as I can tell, is to get coverage for the major broadcasters beyond
their national 39 percent coverage limit. At least, that is their
function from the point of view of the TV consumers and of the major
networks, even if not of the politicos, who must come up with arcane
sound-good reasons in their quest for votes.

None of this helps explain the situation in Gainesville. It doesn't make
any sense for NBC, with no presence there, to make it *difficult* for
someone to fill that local affiliate role for NBC. And much the same for
CW and MNT.