[opendtv] Re: News: Northwest Station Pulls Signal In Retransmission Battle

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:46:54 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> How do the laws work on this? Is Gainesville somehow still
> by law the exclusive territory of WESH? Or is it just a deal
> between Cox and WESH where when contracts expire Cox could
> cut a deal for the national network NBC if negotiations
> fail? If WESH can't be received locally it doesn't seem
> fair they could restrict my ability to get NBC/HD somewhere
> else (Cox willing).

WESH is in Daytona Beach, 79.2 miles distant according to Antennaweb
(from U of F). It seems highly unlikely to me that any legal ruling
would declare WESH to be the legitimate NBC affiliate to serve the
Gainesville market.

What I can't figure out is who is preventing some enterprising
businessman from setting up an NBC affiliate in Gainesville. Especially
when you take must-carry and retransmission consent into account, i.e.
that the new affiliate would have access to this 93 percent usage Cox
system, this Gainesville status quo just does not make sense to me.

And, if not a new affiliate, there are already several translators in
Gainesville. Who is paying WESH, for example, not to use one of these
translators for NBC and other content? Seems like illegal things going
on.

Gainesville is primarily a college town, yes? Should be plenty of demand
for FOTA TV in a college town, if it were available. Not every college
student is a spoiled brat, I don't think.