[opendtv] Re: News: Ditch Your TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:29:05 -0500

At 10:59 PM -0800 12/8/08, John Willkie wrote:
However, the highest-interest programming genre on tv is live sports.
Period.

"Several" networks have proven that you can't do HD sports in the same ATSC
transport stream when there are any other virtual channels.  They may not
say publicly that they have proven that, but they did.

A sports broadcast with fast motion (not poker) will use around 8 gigabytes
per hour, more or less.  And, Comcast does network management, so you can't
always get a good, steady stream of high-interest high-motion content.

30 hours of sports a month.

Salvation is near!

Obama want to bring us "the next" Internet.

Until then wide screen 480P should work just fine for live sports via the Internet.

And then there is the nagging question:

Can we find athletes who will play live games 24/7. This season we had Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night football games...