[opendtv] Re: News: Ditch Your TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:18:22 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So this explains why virtually every non-U.S. manufacturer
> of vehicles ALSO rushed to produce trucks and SUVs, mostly in
> U.S. factories?

Sure, they also cashed in on the US obsession with obesity. But the
facts are, these other companies did not stop developing efficient
vehicles. So now that the US car buyer has gotten religion, they flock
to the foreign brands in search for fuel economy.

> It is worth noting that the big three ALL produce small fuel
> efficient vehicles, and make a profit, OUTSIDE the U.S.

Well, you need to listen to the hearings on CSPAN to understand what's
going on here.

If the US govt bails out the US car companies, they want to make sure
that the taxpayers' money isn't going to go overseas, as a freebie,
unintended, foreign aid package. So the bailout will not be available
for GM or Europe, for example.

> The U.S. manufacturers HAVE tried to sell smaller, fuel
> efficient cars in the U.S., but the buying public mostly
> considered them to be junk when compared to a Honda Civic or
> Toyota Corolla.

Yup. That's what I said. They half-ass tried and they essentially gave
up. Selling the overweight hogs was so easy, and such a cash cow.