[opendtv] Re: News: Ditch Your TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:10:57 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

> I know we like to repeat ourselves on this list every
> few months but I can't say I care to do so - you can
> check the list archives.

I never saw you describing your situation at all, other than you "can't
get reception." Indeed, you don't need to repeat that. It doesn't help.

> Thanks for proving my point. Most people don't want
> antenna farms and switches all over their property.

You mean, two small antennas in the back of a fireplace?

Most people who have cable and DBS only get reception because they rely
100 percent on someone to install it for them. Yet, professional help is
out of the question when people want OTA TV, in the US.

Again, I don't know what your specific situation is, how far you are
from the transmitters, what obstacles might be in the way, how well
analog TV works, or any of the meaningful details. Or, maybe the reason
you can't get digital reception is obvious to you already, I don't know.

Here's a simple example. Mark Schubin had a heck of a time getting
digital recpetion at first. Why? It was obvious. In the early days, ATSC
receivers were unable to get reception in rayleigh channels. His
reception was entirely from reflected energy. That's all we needed to
know.

Maybe you, like Cliff, are among those who, in the UK and New Zealand,
would be told to use Freesat.