[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:13:57 -0500

On 11/14/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> My point, Doug Lung's point was that legacy receivers
> are a problem when designing DOCRs. Even if 5th gen
> receivers work perfect with DOCRs the legacy receivers
> hold back their use.

And my point is that this is true even in COFDM countries, and that
fortunately it seems like the receivers built into new sets here tend to
be of the 5th gen variety.

But it is not a problem in COFDM countries. The UK will go to 8K with
little to no concern for legacy receivers that can't hack it. There
are not that many and they have sold 16 million or more of which 98%
are going to work with 8K just fine. No other COFDM country has such a
problem to begin with AFAIK.

> But you need DOCRs for a successful DTV HDTV transition
> according to Doug.

I seem to be doing okay without OCRs.

Certainly, OCRs will help. But I think you're trying too darned hard to
trump up your "gotchas." There has to be a time when you "get over it,"
Bob.

It is not a matter of me getting over it. The country has to get over
it or lose free OTA TV. Still looks like a goner to me.

Of course I think it is about time you got over it and realized that
the best thing the US could do is switch to a better modulation and
codec ASAP.

Now from the beginning up until and including today I have been
constantly considering doing something with 8-VSB. Had a discussion
with a major player two hours ago and that was the topic. Still can't
pull the trigger. Could not tell him I thought it was a good idea to
start something using 8-VSB and or A-VSB. Doubt if I ever will. Have
you been open to the idea of switching to a different modulation all
these years?

Bob Miller