[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:23:34 -0500

Albert Manfredi wrote:
It's apples and oranges, but since A-VSB and Dotcast at 4.5 Mb/s were mentioned together, the difference in C/N margin is 40 dB for Dotcast vs 1.7 dB, or 4.5 dB, for A-VSB. That's a huge difference. Granted, that's without TV programming on the A-VSB channel. So cut that down to 1.5 Mb/s of A-VSB, and you can add a very nice few SD channels and get extremely robust Moviebeam.
On paper, all of that is true. In practice, I still await the 5th-generation LG STB, first shown publicly more than three-and-a-half years ago, and successfully tested in my apartment in July of 2004. No other commercially available box has successfully picked up DTT in my apartment with a set-top antenna. Meanwhile, my set-top rabbit ears bring in all NYC analog stations at good quality or better.

I know DTT CAN work. I've personally successfully tested both ATSC and DVB-T. But, to date, no one has put an STB that will work in my apartment on the market. So, if MovieBeam is willing to sell me a box that works in my apartment (though I have no desire for it), they've taken a step that other CE manufacturers haven't.

By the way, I just entered a bunch of addresses of friends on the MovieBeam site, and it says they all have service. Maybe I need a more rural set of friends?

TTFN,
Mark