[opendtv] Re: LG thought

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:42:01 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> LG may have decided to back away from OTA STB's for a
> simple pragmatic reason that they did not see a lot
> of profit in it and they are in affect competing with
> their IP customers. And maybe they know the Theater
> 310 is better.
>
> This is re-enforced by this PR from Thomson
>
> http://tv.rca.com/en-US/01052005.html.htm

From which, I quote:

"SDTV models in the 27-inch screen size will be available
for suggested retail prices below $300, while 32-inch
digital TV products will start at suggested retail prices
under $400."

So supposedly sometime this year, prices of integrated
SDTV sets will be about identical to NTSC sets of today.
But no mention of digital cable tuner. So much for the
cost burden of ATSC.

[{I told you so, I told you so.}]

> Why bother with STB's when the combo is getting so
> cheap?

Well, because people don't want to replace their zillion
dollar DLPs and plasmas with a smallish SDTV set. Buying
a stand-alone $100 STB for a cheap NTSC 20" set won't
make sense. But that's not the whole story.

Not to mention recorders.

What I would want is a 5th gen ~$100 STB for my LCD TV
and a separate one for the DVDR. And I would even gladly
pay an extra $30-$40 each, for a dual conversion tuner!