[opendtv] Re: LG thought

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:06:58 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

[Quoting from the RCA site]:

> > "SDTV models in the 27-inch screen size will be
> > available for suggested retail prices below $300,
> > while 32-inch digital TV products will start at
> > suggested retail prices under $400."
> >
> > So supposedly sometime this year, prices of
> > integrated SDTV sets will be about identical to
> > NTSC sets of today. But no mention of digital cable
> > tuner. So much for the cost burden of ATSC.
>
> Where did you get the idea that a 27" TV of today
> costs $300 or more?

Some do cost more, but the cheaper ones cost LESS
than $300, and that's where the Thomson SDTVs are
going to be priced. And that's what the quote says.
Less, not more, that $300, for 27" (digital) SDTVs.

I got the idea that 27" NTSC TVs cost less than $300
from visiting stores such as Circuit City and Best
Buy, which have about the lowest prices for these
items.

ATSC built-in tuners and MPEG-2 decoders, already in
2005, will be creating noise level price effects. I
may have been too conservative in my estimate for
the cost of built-in tuners.

This, of course, is great news. It will encourage
lawmakers to hold to their 1/1/2007 date for analog
shutdown. So we should all rejoice instead of
complain.