[opendtv] Re: LG thought

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:05:49 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

>>Why bother
>>with STB's when the combo is getting so cheap?
>>

>Umm, 300 million non-ATSC TVs and 200 million non-ATSC VCRs in the U.S.
>perhaps?
>
>TTFN,
>Mark

So I have a 3 year old 27" SD set and I want to buy a digital receiver
for it. What price will I be willing to pay when a new 27" TV cost $300?
Would you pay the going rate today, $200? At that point I think I would
buy the new TV. Would I pay a hundred? Maybe.

So I think these new SD integrated digital sets make about 200 million
of those ATSC sets and virtually all those non ATSC VCR's obselete. I
don't think there is much of a market there as soon as these sets are
being sold.

And whatever the market is it will be a deadend one and how much time is
there before there is no market.

LG is not primarily an STB company which would play into their decision
also.

Bob Miller