[opendtv] Re: LG thought

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:23:07 -0500

>So I have a 3 year old 27" SD set and I want to buy a digital receiver
>for it. What price will I be willing to pay when a new 27" TV cost $300?
>Would you pay the going rate today, $200? At that point I think I would
>buy the new TV. Would I pay a hundred? Maybe.

Here are some other scenarios:

- There are some 11 million HD households, the vast majority of which
have no ATSC capability.  So, if those people spent, say, $5000 on their
TVs, will they junk them for new ones with ATSC-reception capability?

- There are people in places like Manhattan that may not be able to
receive DTT with any existing STB or integrated set.  Do they give up on
DTT or wait for integrated 5th-generation LG sets to get cheap enough?

- Someone with the $300 integrated DTT might want to make a recording
while watching something else.  Need he or she wait for an integrated
D-VHS to drop to $300, too?

- Many people are not in the habit of buying new TVs after three years
-- or two or one.  Must they?

TTFN,
Mark