[opendtv] Re: How one couple beat the cable company

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 07:11:39 -0400

> On Oct 12, 2014, at 8:29 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Cliff Benham wrote:
>
>> The idea that good TV reception is obtainable everywhere with a single indoor
>> antenna is a myth the promotions people continue to spread. It's just not so.
>
> Any country that depends on OTA TV has figured this out half a century ago or
> more. The answer has always been translators. If OTA broadcasters here did
> not prefer to depend on MVPDs, those same translators could have existed in
> greater numbers in the US.

Cliff has it exactly right. There are many sites well within the coverage areas
of the big sticks where indoor antennas do not work.

Is there an easy fix?  Why YES!

Move to a low power distribution system everywhere with cells where the people
are. Broadcast LTE can provide excellent coverage in urban areas INCLUDING
indoor reception.

> Now, with the Internet, and more and more people having access to it, that's
> not so essential anymore.

One can easily argue that TV broadcasting is not needed any more. But, if it is
allowed to continue using valuable spectrum, we at least deserve a broadcast
standard that works reliably with both fixed and mobile receivers.

> This article is interesting because it proves once again how competition
> works. Something Craig doesn't seem to get. The fact is, the Internet and OTA
> TV have given Steve Maas options to replace MVPD service. These options are
> "good enough" for him now. The Skippers, Moonves', and Bewkes of this country
> are quite aware of this, which is why they are taking action. Doesn't matter
> what the FCC mandates about MVPD service. That's totally beside the point.

Competition?

The guy tied the cord again Bert.

Yes, you can get all kinds of content without the cord. You are living proof.
But in the end, more than 80% of U.S. Homes still subscribe to get the content
in the bundle.

> I think only Craig doesn't understand this dynamic.

The dynamic is that of an entrenched oligopoly.

Unfortunately, Bert is seeing little success in his trust busting dreams...