[opendtv] Re: How one couple beat the cable company

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 00:29:21 +0000

Cliff Benham wrote:

> The idea that good TV reception is obtainable everywhere with a single indoor
> antenna is a myth the promotions people continue to spread. It's just not so.

Any country that depends on OTA TV has figured this out half a century ago or
more. The answer has always been translators. If OTA broadcasters here did not
prefer to depend on MVPDs, those same translators could have existed in greater
numbers in the US.

Now, with the Internet, and more and more people having access to it, that's
not so essential anymore.

This article is interesting because it proves once again how competition works.
Something Craig doesn't seem to get. The fact is, the Internet and OTA TV have
given Steve Maas options to replace MVPD service. These options are "good
enough" for him now. The Skippers, Moonves', and Bewkes of this country are
quite aware of this, which is why they are taking action. Doesn't matter what
the FCC mandates about MVPD service. That's totally beside the point.

I think only Craig doesn't understand this dynamic.