[opendtv] Re: How one couple beat the cable company

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 01:00:03 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You are deploying transmitters in either case, and you
> still need a physical location and tower for the translator.

First of all, do you really not see the difference between having to install
and maintain many hundreds of transmitters in a market, as opposed to two or
three?

Second, multiple broadcasters can share the same translator sticks, just as
they can the big sticks.

> And it is not at all clear the numbers would be smaller.

Don't be absurd, Craig. Rome gets by, urban setting, with two towers. They used
to be translators, now they are translators for VHF and form a SFN for UHF.
Berlin gets by with three towers, now in a SFN. Paris has a big stick plus
three small sticks in a SFN.

These are all examples of what FOTA broadcasters have had to do, to keep costs
in check. With LTE broadcast, you can't get anywhere close to these spectral
efficiencies, without multiple hundreds of small sticks, for markets of these
sizes.

> Where do you get the spectrum for the dense checkerboard in urban
> areas?

Craig, translators DO NOT require a dense mesh. Even SFNs, when used with
DVB-T2, and less so with DVB-T1, don't require a dense mesh. LTE does.

Where do you get the frequencies? No problem. Just like now, LPTV stations can
use frequency channels from the adjacent market, translators can do likewise.
There are many different ways of designing such systems.

> I thought everything was moving to OTT anyway?

Yes, but that's a different discussion. As of now, the people this article was
talking about still need OTA for live events. So Cliff made the point that OTA
was not so easy for some, like himself, and I responded that translators are
the obvious solution.

You brought up LTE again, as if that would remotely solve the problem for
someone as far from the center of any market as Cliff is. Imagine the
Philadelphia broadcasters creating LTE coverage for a circle of 35 mile radius
around Phila. Do the math and tell me how many towers that would require, at
anything approaching 3 b/s/Hz.