[opendtv] Re: How one couple beat the cable company

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 21:27:11 +0000

Ron Economos wrote:

> You don't need "towers" for LTE nodes. Here's a picture of
> a 700 MHz band AT&T LTE node taken from my mailbox.

You still need to locate sticks. You can share sticks with LTE, and you can
share towers with the other schemes. The only significant point here is that
LTE, a scheme designed for cellular two-way use and for mobility, when used in
broadcast mode, places fairly stringent limits on tower spacing (stick spacing,
please let's not feed more misconceptions on this topic), as a function of
spectral efficiency.

We already went through a paper written by Ericsson on this topic, two years
ago or more. Craig needs to dig it up, read it, or he won't retain the
important points.

By the way, the failed Qualcomm scheme, the one which used Ch 55 between Wash
DC and NYC, is another example of how a real system is designed, to be at all
affordable. They could also have used cell tower-like dense mesh of sticks. Did
they? No. They use instead 50 KW medium power towers (hardly cellular size),
which still required fairly close spacing, and provided much less reliable
coverage than would have a translator setup. As I recall, they used 30 towers
for this coverage.