[opendtv] Re: How one couple beat the cable company

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 23:31:22 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> First of all, I do not see the need for many hundreds of
> transmitters to provide excellent RF coverage of any TV
> market with LTE Broadcast.

And again! You think that vague notions will carry you through, Craig. This one
aspect is BY FAR the most important point there is, before debating anything
else on this matter. You need to find out. I've tried to explain this countless
times, and you simply ignore and then forget. This ain't like shining
flashlights at an object!!

I gave you the exact reference for the LTE application. You need to understand
how this works before you can intelligently debate.

> Please take a look at this website that shows the cellular
> tower sites for the Washington D.C area. There are not "many
> hundreds" of towers for the telco LTE services.

Wow. I count ~113 cell towers, and all they cover is INSIDE THE BELTWAY! Answer
me this, after you do some research: 1. Are they used in LTE broadcast mode? 2.
If yes, at what spectral efficiency? 3. How many would it take to cover a
radius of, say, 40 miles or more?

Just as a point of reference, I'm sure I've said this before, I cannot use my
cellphone at home for anything but voice service. The signal is inadequate for
the faster rates needed for images, for example, *even* standing outside in my
yard. So it's not likely that this dense mesh of towers can provide the TV
coverage you dream of, Craig.

A "perfect" solution for FOTA TV. Right.

> Prove it. You are blowing smoke here.

I ALREADY DID! The problem is, you simply ignore facts that don't match your
political platform. Honestly, Craig, this is really aggravating.

> So once again, where is the spectrum going to come from for your
> "denser checkerboard?"

Like I said, you can set up these translator towers up any number of ways.

In the UK, they simply have a very tight grid of translators. For instance, you
take the same frequencies available as we use now in the US, but you
redistribute them a lot more often. It does not take up more spectrum AT ALL.
You simply end up with a smaller footprint for each tower. Like making a quilt
with smaller pieces. It does not require more types of cloth, just a denser
pattern of the same shapes and colors.

Another option is to use a big stick for the bulk of coverage in a given
market, then small low power sticks only to fill in the gaps. This is how it's
done in Rome, Paris, and Berlin. If you use translators for the small sticks,
you simply locate those small sticks far enough from the adjacent market that
uses the same frequency channel for its big stick. Like LPTV stations ALREADY
DO. So that doesn't take up more frequencies either.

For example, use a small stick translator on Channel 6 in the southern part of
the Baltimore area that's on the same frequency as big stick Ch 6 in
Philadelphia. Areas of co-channel interference would only occur in the northern
part of the Baltimore, where people would be using the big stick frequency.
Move any further North, and the Phila signal will swamp that low power
translator. Just like LPTV stations get swamped out.

> What makes this an obvious solution Bert?
>
> If it made good economic sense would it not already have happened?

Thanks for making my point. Any more towers will cost more. In countries where
the TV infrastructure is NOT government assisted, via TV tax let's say, it is
more difficult to justify these expenses. And especially so AFTER the MVPD era
began.

But, as cord cutters grow in numbers, unless the TV networks do something a la
CBS, the OTA signal will gain in its importance to the congloms.