[opendtv] Re: FCC's spectrum plan gives broadcasters food for thought

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:06:47 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Let's rephrase it that the exposure came from channels respectively
> owned and controlled by GE (or Comcast), Viacom, Disney, and News
> corp.  Then with PBS (and with a tiny bit of help from WB) you can
> say they own or control virtually ALL the OTA, cable, and satellite
> channels that anybody actually watches.
>
> But then of course it doesn't even sound like broadcasters anymore.
>
> The network corporations are doing fine.  They just don't represent
> OTA broadcasters anymore.  They will be fine loose on the Internet
> also. They are in the business of brokering content rights, not
> delivery channels.

Works for me.

Now, how their content gets distributed is up to agreements made between these
congloms and the various distribution pipes, and OTA is one of these. It turns
out that as of now, at least, the congloms feel safer with the OTA distribution
pipe than they do with the Internet pipe. Maybe that will change eventually.

The other thing is this. I am a consumer of TV programming. I am not
asscociated with a conglom, an OTA broadcaster, or an MVPD. So to me, as a
consumer, I find it practically impossible to feel empathy for any group or
corporation that wants to yank away FOTA broadcasting, which has existed
forever, for their own financial benefit.

FOTA broadcasters have much more limited spectrum than the MVPDs, so they do
not pose any sort of credible threat. Plus, I allow the cablecos and telcos to
periodically tear up my yard to update their cables for TV distribution, even
though I don't use their infrastructure. So honestly, their complaints about
the existence of FOTA TV fall on very deaf ears.