[opendtv] Re: FCC's spectrum plan gives broadcasters food for thought

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:45:00 -0400

FOTA broadcasters have much more limited spectrum than the MVPDs, so they do not pose any sort of credible threat. Plus, I allow the cablecos and telcos to periodically tear up my yard to update their cables for TV distribution, even though I don't use their infrastructure. So honestly, their complaints about the existence of FOTA TV fall on very deaf ears.

The only reason that broadcasters "appear" to have limited spectrum is that they wanted it this way. They WANTED to limit choice.

The reason that the MVPDs appear to have so much more spectrum is that they invested in the infrastructure to offer MUCH MORE choice than broadcasters.

Broadcasters COULD have developed a digital infrastructure that offered FAR MORE choice that the ATSC system can deliver. It was only a question of money for infrastructure.

The problem is not that broadcasters offer a threat - they decided NOT to compete with cable and DBS, but rather to take advantage of that investment, and the financial relationship with the customer to develop another revenue stream based on government authorized largess.

The complaints about FOTA are based primarily on the tremendous waste of a very valuable public resource that is no longer being used for its intended purpose, but rather to justify broadcast demands for retrans dollars.

Its time to recover this public asset for applications with higher economic benefit to society. There are many ways for you to get your TV fix.