[opendtv] Re: FCC's spectrum plan gives broadcasters food for thought

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 19:05:25 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Cliff Benham wrote:
>>
>> People have figured out how badly they are being double dipped and are
>> beginning to respond by switching to FOTA.
>
> The audience for the programming offered by the major networks that supports
> the FOTA service continues to shrink rapidly. Thus it MAY be illogical to
> conclude that people are returning to FOTA unless you also believe that
> cable subscribers are the only ones NOT watching the programs carried by the
> FOTA services.

Is that hard to believe? Viewership of the main networks is still very strong,
but it seems obvious, does it not, that MVPD subscribers are the ones that
might be dropping the main networks for their other options?

> One might also conclude that:
>
> They are just turning the TV off.
>
> Or they are only using free web services and packaged media (DVDs).

In Florida, likely. Everywhere else, if it's true that this return to OTA is
occurring, my conclusion would be that the drop in network TV viewership is
going to level off. In fact, I thought that CBS and Fox were not dropping, or
at least, not for the weeks we quoted on here in a previous thread?

(But never fear. The FCC will ensure that FOTA viewership continue to drop, as
they yank away FOTA options and use the spectrum to promote a far more
addictive drug.)