[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:44:58 -0700

There is unlimited bandwidth with fiber.  Every year, they come up with new
ways to increase the throughput with existing fiber.  The only question is
the cost.  If the government is paying the bills by charging you $10 tax on
a Big Mac (just why are they so much more expensive in Japan?) there is no
limit to what you can do.

"But bert didn't mention fiber."  It was about ISPs.  The only ISPs I know
of that use fiber are AT&T (via u-verse) and FIOS.  Everybody else travels
over copper or coax.  He was trying to assert that it can be done with
copper or coax, then he went to HFC (a provisional solution, in my mind,
when I first read of it in 1994; the local telco basically 'bargaining'
instead of 'manning up.'

By the way, 1 GBPS in Japan is piker standards.  Isn't the standard in S.
Korea something like 12 GBPS nowadays?  (1200 bps would be a tremendous
accomplishment in N. Korea.)  I would also note that the provider is owned
and operated by the government.  I'm not sure of the price of Big Macs in S.
Korea.

You say "compessed ATSC channels."  What, exactly is an uncompressed ATSC
channel?  By the way, I didn't speak of channels; I spoke of transport
streams.  My first customer has three video channels and three andio-channel
in his transport stream.

Sure, anybody can rent T3 capacity from Global Crossing (not cheap, by the
way) to send ATSC transport streams across the ocean of blue.  But, the last
time I checked, T3 wasn't synchronous.  Sure, you can reconstruct the time
stamps on the other end.  Perhaps you meant several bonded DS-3s?

But "assuming no other licensing restrictions" is quite absurd; Japan and
the U.S. are signatories to the Bern Copyright Convention.  Nor, is there
much demand for live signals from the U.S. to be distributed in Japan.

So, how far do you want to go out to prove that your life sucks?

It's  best to think of broadcast as having a set of characteristics, and
taking advantage of those characteristics.  They include instantaneous
transmission via dedicated channels (one way, but that will be changing in
short order) from 0 to infinity in number or receivers, with no increase in
resources in the overhead based on the number of receivers taking advantage
of it.  The downsides include: everybody gets access to everything, with no
real ability to customize or unilaterally get content.

Coax, fiber and copper have different chanracteristics and different
advantages and disadvantages.

Then there are the business models ...

Trying to imagine how to make IP distribution to be like broadcast (or
vice-versa) is about as sensible as that fish riding a bicycle.  Heck, it's
akin to wanting your existing TV set to receive and render ATSC M/H
transmissions.  There is not a single television set in the world that is in
use now that will ever be able to receive ATSC M/H transmissions.  Even if
there were, there is not a single TV set in the world in use now that will
ever be able to demultiplex ATSC M/H transmissions.  Even if there were,
there is not a single television set in the world in use now that will ever
be able to render ATSC M/H video, audio or "other streams."

Insisting on the alternative as being doable is just typing while drinking.

Want a bottom line?  The "congloms" will provide their content primarily
through over the air transmission as long as they can make more money doing
so through their own and affiliated television station more profitably and
more easily than any other form of distribution.

John Willkie