[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:32:24 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> The only way that Verizon FIOS works is with multicasting, which is
> the IP equivalent of OTA broadcasting.

That's why I said that the ISPs had the hardest job to make this work.

Multicasting is certainly one way. Another is to deploy lots of servers
in their network, to serve individual neighborhoods. Just for TV
content.

Then Verizon would multicast the programs through their core network to
all servers, and from there even individual unicast could be possible,
to customers.