[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:24:02 -0700

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM, John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There were 97.5 million viewers of last year's Super Bowl in the US.  Let's
> be generous and say there were ten people watching per television.  Now,
> Kon, can your company's infrastructure serve 10 million streams of even 4.5
> Mbps AVC 720p video simultaneously?  If not, then it will never be a
> substitute for mass broadcasting.  Which was my counterpoint.

Well John, can one OTA station serve 10 million customers? In terms of
bandwidth yes, but unfortunately it doesn't have the coverage for the
entire country. So by direct comparison, OTA doesn't work either.

Your argument is pointless since the same mechanisms are used for
internet video delivery as are used for broadcast delivery, i.e. there
is a single contribution source delivered to multiple endpoints which
then in turn farm it out to geographically dispersed locations.

Only a fool would attempt to serve that amount of viewers from a
single datacenter without using geographical and pop-based dispersion
of the data to multiple edges and origin clusters.

Cheers
Kon