[opendtv] Re: Did I get this one right?

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:08:11 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Well I certainly am growing tired of hearing your usual
> attempts to help the broadcasters play their shell games.

And why on earth would I have any interest in doing that? I just call them as I
see them, without consistently forcing myself to sing the same old tired tune.
When you claim the problem is only about protection, which you did, you are
ignoring reality.

> At least you finally agree that the DTV transition has been
> about the protection of a lucrative franchise, not an attempt
> to regain a competitive edge over cable and DBS.

What I never agreed with was the "NTSC" part of your story. Of course it is an
attempt to retain the TV spectrum for broadcasting, but not for NTSC per se.

What you pointed out accurately, though, I think, is that the TV broadcasters
mostly care about their OTA medium as a vehicle to get them on subscription
systems. The difference in the way DTT is advertized, compared with HD Radio,
makes that abundantly clear.

But what you seem to miss, IMO, is that when channels such as ESPN were carried
exclusively over a cable (local) monopoly, that was far less competitive than
anything you can possibly attribute to broadcasters. That's why people chased
after the cable truck to get them to install cable in their homes, in the early
1980s. Just like people chase after the UN truck carrying food in
famine-stricken parts of the world. That wouldn't happen if there were
competition. Nor would the rates climb as fast as they have done, if there were
competition.

The problem was somewhat ameliorated with the arrival of DBS. It would be
resolved if any OTA broadcaster were allowed to bid for any programming. They
would still be at a disadvantage in spectrum compared with the multichannel
systems, but they would have more options to optimize use of what spectrum they
have.

For that to happen, you need to strictly separate content from carriage
primarily in the local monopoly media. It's not nearly as necessary over media
which compete already in their market. For some reason, you resist
acknowledging this seemingly obvious state of affairs.