[opendtv] Ofcom 'not persuaded' on HD spectrum call

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:42:06 -0400

Who knows? It's possible that DVB-T-Europe's original strong stance against
HDTV is what will cause a mass migration there to subscription services as well.

The easiest thing for broadcasters would be not to request any special "favors"
from Ofcom. The idea of using the freed-up analog spectrum for their second
transition (to HDTV) just doesn't seem to want to happen.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2768

Ofcom 'not persuaded' on HD spectrum call

Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards has reiterated the regulator's "platform
neutral and pro-competition" approach to its Digital Dividend Review (DDR).
Earlier this year Ofcom received 750 responses to a DDR consultation—among them
were calls by public service broadcasters, consumer electronics manufacturers
and retailers to reserve some spectrum due to be liberated by digital
switchover for high-definiton (HD) channels on Freeview.

Delivering the annual Ofcom lecture yesterday, Richards said Ofcom was
continuing to assess "whether there is a case of sufficient strength to
persuade us to modify our starting point that a market-led approach is the best
way of ensuring the efficient use of spectrum". "The challenge is to weigh an
identified citizens' interest against the general efficiency of market
mechanisms to ensure the best outcome for society as a whole," said Richards.

"Let me be clear that Ofcom believes that HD offers an exciting improved
experience for viewers. We are far from indifferent to HD, but we remain firmly
platform neutral and pro-competition in our approach. We also remain open to
argument and evidence for a non market allocation where there is an
identifiable public interest that clearly outweighs the opportunity cost
associated with it.

"In terms of the DDR, we have yet to reach a conclusion, although, to date, we
have not been persuaded of the argument that the best way to maximise the
social and economic benefit of the released spectrum is simply to gift some or
all of the released spectrum to broadcasters."

Richards said Ofcom was working with broadcaters "to ensure that the spectrum
they already have is used in as efficient a manner as possible". "And here we
have a great opportunity. For some time now Ofcom has been developing a
proposal which would enable us to clear an entire multiplex and convert this to
an improved compression and transmission standard. If we can make this proposal
work, then there is a very major prize.

"Success would mean not only the doubling of capacity for one universally
available multiplex, but also for the first time, a migration path for the
entire Freeview platform which would offer an enormous increase in capacity.

"This proposal holds out the prospect of HD services on Freeview, using
existing capacity, as early as late 2009 and at far lower cost than any
alternative proposal.

For us it means a far more efficient use of scarce spectrum and supports our
duty to promote competition in the communications sector."

Richards said Ofcom would set out its proposals "later this year".

Lovelace Consulting  |  17.10.2007