[opendtv] Re: Did I get this one right?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:50:36 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> In many ways it seems broadcasters are again circling the
> wagons to prevent some outsiders from gaining usage of spectrum.
> I think the last time it helped create the digital TV transition,
> loaning an extra channel to each broadcaster for a couple decades
> and keeping those channels from cellular and everyone else.

The second channel can't possibly have helped broadcasters, Tom, because
all they could do with it was to simulcast in analog their "main"
digital program.

In other words, the hold-over analog channel can either be considered to
be the only revenue provider (initially) or it could be considered to be
a redundant channel that costs money to keep running but provides no
additional revenue (by the time most people have made the switch).

Honestly, in spite of the long-standing complaints, I can't see any
other rational way to transition. And guess what, nor can any other
country that has been through the transition.

> Now that those channels will potentially have to be given back in
> 2009 we will see many new proposals for broadcaster usage of them,
> and all other possible spectrum.

Why not? They should be able to compete for those as well as anyone
else. But what we are really talking about is "white spaces" between 2
and 51, not white spaces between 2 and 69. And I think whoever competes
will have to be more responsible than little Harry coming home from
school, having nothing better to do than create interference with his
new game box.