[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:21:31 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Just curious. Does anyone on this digital TV list know of
> anyone with an ATSC VCR or PVR hooked up to only an OTA
> antenna that can automatically and reliable timer record
> from multiple OTA ATSC channels (not necessarily
> simultaneously) with no other switching or antenna fiddling?

Of course. That's how I watch TV almost exclusively. Accurian connected
via s-video to Philips DVD recorder, timer set in the Accurian and in
the Philips.

I can switch to two antennas. One for most channels in Wash, Balt, and
Annapolis. Another for a few of the Wash channels. I switch to whatever
antenna the recording session will need, and that's almost always the
same one.

And don't forget that "antenna fiddling" is something that goes away
when the receiver can tolerate echo. That's why the new ATSC receivers
require so much less of it. Antenna fiddling is done to attenuate echo,
just like one had to do in the analog TV days.