[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:25:57 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> And likewise I think your continuing to argue that
> the modulation is not the issue is nonsense.

Oh, so you seriously believe that the reason Aussies are satisfied with
the 6-8 OTA channels they have available, to the tune of 75 percent of
households satisfied, is because they get those with COFDM. And that the
reason Americans aren't satisfied with 6-8 OTA channels they can also
typically receive, is because it's not over COFDM.

Makes no sense. This trend began in the late 1970s, when digital
modulation was not an issue. Americans went in hordes to cable in the
late 1970s and early 1980s, Aussies did not. Aussies still don't. What
do you attribute that to? PAL vs NTSC?

Obsessing over modulation when modulation is not a factor just means
that whatever is actually wrong with OTA TV in the US won't get fixed.