[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 02:23:11 -0400

It is not just that 8-VSB is ill suited for J6P it is the attitude
that Congress and the FCC have toward broadcast OTA DTV channels 2-51.
Look what Rhodes says of interference from unlicensed radios in that
spectrum. I like his "terrifying" the best.

"The fact that more than one U signal can result in interference, even
when both U signals are below their threshold power levels (measured
separately), makes the interference possibilities simply terrifying
when unlicensed transmitters begin to share broadcast spectrum on Feb.
18, 2009. Stay tuned."

From Double Trouble in TVTechnology
http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0072/t.6416.html

Different issue letters to the editor.

"Real World Static by a Gary Davis

("Another View on HDTV," Letters, March 7th), to inject a little real
world static into his solutions:

Professional Installation: It would be wonderful if all that people
needed to get HD working correctly was professional installation. But
in my experience as well as according to nationwide reports, a great
many professional installations are done wrong. Consistently, we see
the HD cable bos connected to the HDTV with  a Channel 3 RF cable, a
composite video cable, or S-Video. None of these connections can pass
more than a 480i standard -def signal. In other cases, the correct
cable is used, but the cable box is set to 480i, again resulting in a
high-quality but standard-definition picture on the new TV.

I've seen installations like these by both cable companies and TV
dealers, including high-end stores that sell nothing but HDTVs. I
imagine that these installers spend all day, every day, installing
HDTV wrong.

Antenna: I've found an amazing resistance among my customers and
friends to using an antenna to get HDTV, even with the promise of more
HD channels. But let's say at some point in the future, indoor UHF
antenna's become popular, like pet rocks.

There's a problem for the average person trying to align such an
antenna. Before an HDTV tuner (or TV with built-in tuner) can receive
digital channels, it does a "channel scan." But, the channel scan
won't work if the antenna isn't pointed correctly. But, how are you
going to point the antenna, if the TV won't receive any channels? You
can't add digital channels "manually" by channel number like you could
with analog channels---the tuner has to scan them in.

Today, experienced installers know you can go to an analog UHF channel
to align the antenna before starting the channel scan.

After February 2009, this won't be an option.

This "chicken and egg" problem is greatly complicated in cities where
all the HDTV towers aren't in the same place. Yes, you can use a
rotor, but how will you get your TV to scan the channels if it can't
see them all at once? Multiple antenna, not a rotor , might work but
you're just inviting multipath unless you use switches, not combiners,
to a select the right antenna for each channel.

But it doesn't really matter, because despite Serumgard's mention that
broadcasters have spent "billions" to give us digital broadcast TV,
virtually no one cares to watch TV that way!"

It is not just that 8-VSB is a c**p modulation like I said. In fact it
is the attitude of Congress and the FCC and frankly most broadcasters
that allowed 8-VSB in the first place. The choice of 8-VSB is a
symptom of the bigger problem that there is no champion of OTA. No one
looking out for the best interest of the public in OTA TV.
Broadcasters stronger vested interest is not with OTA but with cable
carriage.

Bob Miller

On 6/19/07, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If it is setting a pretty high bar to ask for at least one person on a
digital TV mailing list using ATSC that way with only one non-switched
antenna then it does not hold out much hope for future PVR'ing ATSC users.

Sure it's true that over the years I've been on this list I've always
managed to set up ATSC sufficiently for my own needs, in 4 different
residences and cities now.  But I'm also an HDTV hobbyist, a one time
physics major, and I build and repair my own computers.

I don't think something will fly if it depends upon J6P putting up
multiple antennas with automatic switching.  He'll just go to cable.

And, yes, I do consider that a technical limitation of the standard.
But I make no representation either way for the various other standards
that I've never used.

- Tom