[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:02:24 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> If the US had a decent modulation like OZ ...

AAAARGHHH!

I can't believe you're still on that refrain, Bob. I mean, HONESTLY.

The fact that people there are satisfied with 6 or 7 TV channels, while
here they need 150 TV channels and 6000 lb SUVs, is what you should be
wondering about.

ATSC works just fine now. Even mobile, if anyone really cares.

> Mobile reception would be ubiquitous,

Mobile is hardly an issue with Euro or Aussie DTT. The power levels in
Europe are typically way too low to offer any credible level of mobile
TV, and when they go to HDTV, it can only make things more touchy. And I
don't see any mention of mobile DVB-T in Australia being any sort of
incentive, either. So why even bring it up?

Broadcasters in the US get money from umbillical services and are,
evidently, perfectly happy to continue to do so, and to continue to have
at least 85 percent of households beholden to these subscription
services.

Maybe you're deliberately trying to aggravate. I can't think of any
other reason to keep up this "if we had a decent modulation" nonsense.