[opendtv] Re: Channel approval process

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:51:56 -0700

Yes, and I note that Canada has a large French population.

Language "purity" is not a solely French phenom.  Spain also has an official
body ruling the language -- or their version, called Castillian Spanish.
The vast majority of Spanish-speaking folk ignore their precepts, and have a
living language, not a preserved one.  Of course, the Cubanos and
Argenitinenses can still argue about which of their tongues is closer to the
mother tongue.

I see this evidenced from time to time in Mexico.  The proper term for
"e-mail" in Spanish is "Correo Electronico."  When, after the cable
technician (with no English) had gotten my cable modem working, I asked
"Correo Electronico?" and he responded "Hotmail."  I laughed.

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>