[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:06:59 +0100

For there to be a Federal Court injunction, there would have to be a lawsuit
in which the plaintiffs had a reasonable chance of prevailing on the merits,
and there would have to be a situation where a judge found that an
injunction would not unfairly affect any party.

And, there would have to be a violation of Federal law or a constitutional
violation alleged.

Lacking the above elements, I would not venture a guess as to whether an
injunction would be granted.  I can say that any lawsuit by stations,
networks or their suppliers or advertisers would have essentially ZERO
chance of getting to the injunction stage.  I'd have to think a bit before I
could handicap a viewer lawsuit getting there.

To avoid even that possibility, Congress is talking about paying for DTV
receivers for those who cannot afford them.  If that is effective, there
would be ZERO grounds for any federal lawsuit.  (That doesn't mean that a
case won't be filed.)  Once the Senate has given up on trying to pass a
constitutional amendment to restrict the rights of Americans to marry, the
markup on DTV receivers might even make it out of committee (markup hearings
were held more than 6 weeks ago.)

Before this is all over, I suspect that the receiver "obligation" will be
put upon analog broadcasters rather than the government.  No to mention the
significant increases in "spectrum utilization fees" for commercial analog
TV stations.

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>