[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 15:54:39 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What we are talking about is optimization of the user's viewing
> experience on a big screen that is typically 7-10 feet away; a
> display that is optimized for video, not for high resolution
> computer generated graphics.

This is very simple, Craig. In a PC, no matter what the natural resolution of
the display is, you can adjust the video card to use less than the maximum.
Also to set aspect ratio. The settings may create larger text, for instance,
and then allow you to scroll if you want to view the content that wouldn't fit
in the display.

This is all you're talking about. BUT, in most cases, you would set the HDTV
monitor exactly the same as a PC display of that same resolution, in truth.
Because HDTV monitors tend to be much larger than PC displays of equal
resolution, which automatically makes text legible farther away. And if not,
the fix is trivially simple.

And yet, no matter what the resolution of the display, if you want to view
video material full screen, you can. Simple click of the mouse.

(Perhaps Apple computers haven't reached this level yet, but surely they will
soon.)

So, the dongle that sends the video to the ATSC transmitter also acts as a
video card, adjusting the image resolution to fit the user's wishes.

> This is not about walled gardens; it is about optimization of the
> viewing experience. There are good reasons that many web sites
> now have mobile versions; now you can add a TV version to your
> list...

Sorry, but mobile is a whole different problem. You are talking tiny screens
there, viewed at roughly the same distance as PC screens.

Those supposedly optimized web sites are simply unnecessary, except as a way to
build walls in the Internet. Just like IPTV, you have to read between the lines
to see where these people are heading.

What I would do, instead, is simple and unwalled. To make the web sites easy to
access with a simple remote, you simply create a set of bookmarks at the PC,
which the dongle allows you to access via the TV's remote, and then you operate
the Internet content exactly the same as you do when viewing a DVD. Just use
the remote to select whatever options, scenes, or what have you, in the DVD. Do
the same for the web sites.

Actually, the Sony Vaio also provided an IR-remote keyboard, for those times
when you absolutely needed the keyboard. They covered all bases rather nicely.