[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:13:41 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> MPEG2 compression was designed as an asymmetrical system. Millions of cheap
> and simple decoders, a few thousand very expensive and complex encoders.

Well, originally, sure. But PVRs are cheap and available, and they have some
sort of MPEG encoder. In my case, the Philips/Funai 3575, which records either
on a hard drive or on a DVD, obviously the encoder has to be MPEG-2.

When I bought it, it cost me $300. The more recent Magnavox versions were less
than that. I just don't think MPEG-2 encoding is a big item, especially if
you're only going to use SD quality.

> The best HD you're going to get today will be full of macroblocking, high
> frequency roll off, and maybe even horizontal resolution reduction, in order
> to lower the processing load on the cheap (and slow) processor contained
> within this "$99" wireless modulator/transmitter box.

I don't think you need much more than SD quality if you're mostly interested in
streaming media. If you want to do more general web browsing, then yes. On the
other hand, the entire 6 MHz is available for any one stream, so perhaps the
encoder can be less advanced than those used by broadcasters who want to
multicast.

Don't know about the audio encoder. I just think this MPEG encoding problem is
being exaggerated?