[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:33:42 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> But could Bluetooth be applied to wirelessly send the video signal
> to the television?  With a quick search, it appears that only a
> few TVs have Bluetooth but it is only used for control and/or
> music.  But with Bluetooth 3.0 at 24 Mb/s, it appears to be viable
> for all purposes: control, audio and video transfer.  And most
> laptops today already have it (although not necessarily v3.0).

That's a whole new ball game, though. Now you're talking about TVs with more
smarts, and TVs that don't exist. Whereas adding functions to PCs is part of
their DNA.

But there more. As far as I can tell, the Internet smarts being added now to
"TV appliances," e.g. to BluRay players, and probably the same is true for
Internet-connected TVs, are much more limited than what PCs can do. For
instance, our new BluRay player can only access a handful of Internet sites,
pre-programmed. That's it! This is why that other article Craig posted
yesterday made such a big deal about all of the political wrangling going on to
get TV content to TVs. Because all they are really after is creating walled
gardens.

This might be the way those few companies like it, but aren't we all glad that
PCs didn't evolve that way? I'm not impressed with these "smart" TVs coming in
the future. Unless something changes.