[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:02:25 -0700

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
Bert's wireless ATSC idea has at least some merit ...

Bert wrote:
We are talking specifically PC content to the TV, e.g. for viewing
streaming media or catch-up TV on the TV set. And we are talking *wireless*
and simple, not requiring you to connect a length of HDMI cable from that
imaginary HDMI connector on the PC, to the TV.

I think connecting with a low power is ATSC signal seems like fine idea on
a technical level with easy tunability and high data rate.  On the
political and practical level, it could be challenging.

But could Bluetooth be applied to wirelessly send the video signal to the
television?  With a quick search, it appears that only a few TVs have
Bluetooth but it is only used for control and/or music.  But with Bluetooth
3.0 at 24 Mb/s, it appears to be viable for all purposes: control, audio
and video transfer.  And most laptops today already have it (although not
necessarily v3.0).  Of course, with so many Bluetooth applications, it
could get rather crowded.

Dan