[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 19:10:41 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> SD will look very good, but 480i at 4MB/Sec is not HD over 8VSB in the TV
> broadcast band which is what Bert wants for $16.95, the same cost of a
> Philips NTSC Ch 3 - 4 modulator sold at WalMart.

HD? Not usually, for Internet content. What they call HD over the Internet is
often not much more than 1.5 Mb/s, if that. As of now, I'm pretty sure that an
SD encoder would be much more than adequate.

Things will change, no doubt, because regular joes are now buying 26" monitors
for their new PCs as a matter of course. Yes, even at WalMart, where CPU,
display, and keyboard are all contained in one box. And really really cheap.
Says to me that streaming media bit rates will continue to go up.

Your price point sounds great. I would not be too disappointed with a higher
price, in the hundreds, for the next couple of years. Then a downward spiral.

I'll bet that if such devices were sold, at Best Buy or even WalMart, they
would sell in large quantities. People do watch Internet TV, and they always
complain about having to watch on a PC. What could be simpler? "Digital quality
video and audio, a setup even a caveman can master."