[opendtv] Re: A detail in the history of video standards

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:42:17 -0400

Here is a decent history of Taiwan and 8-VSB. I noticed that the ATSC
kept Taiwan on their site as an ATSC country long after Taiwan had
officially switched. They may still list them as ATSC. What does that
mean? I doubt if Taiwan is paying its ATSC dues.

http://www2.rfsworld.com/StayConnected/index_ie2.html?ns_head.html&http://www2.rfsworld.com/StayConnected/broadcast/broadcast_0303_2.html

"In 1998, a formal decision was made for Taiwan to adopt the US
‘advanced television systems committee’ (ATSC) digital standard. Based
on 8-vestigial side-band (8-VSB) technology, ATSC appeared at the time
to be a logical choice, given its ready application to 6-MHz channels
and the NTSC standard being used for analogue TV."

And....

"After changing the pilot station equipment from 8-VSB to DVB-T devices,
it was found that the problem of multi-path interference was largely
solved,” says Chung. By the end of June 2001, Taiwan had reversed its
original decision and adopted the DVB-T standard."

Bob Miller