[opendtv] Re: A detail in the history of video standards

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:01:47 -0700

If by "refined", you mean motion vector resolution, then both MPEG-1
and MPEG-2 provide 1/2 pel vectors (1/2 pel is optional in MPEG-1
and mandatory in MPEG-2).

If you mean more modes available for better prediction, then all the
new modes in MPEG-2 (field prediction in frame pictures, 16x8 and
dual-prime) are field based.

When coding progressive_sequence = 1 in MPEG-2 (for 720p), motion
 prediction is exactly the same as MPEG-1 with 1/2 pel vectors.

You can stick your head in the sand regarding interlace, but this
is to nobodys advantage. Look what happened to SMPTE 421M
(VC-1). They tossed in interlace at the last minute and managed
to create an incredibly obtuse bitstream syntax. The SMPTE 421M
(VC-1) specification is twice as many pages as H.264, and does less.

Ron