[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:11:11 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

> The point is that this 1.33:1 film displays 1:1
> on a 4:3 monitor. The industry cannot ignore a
> format that encompasses the greatest part of
> the film catalog across the whole wide world.
> I have the reasonable right to  expect this
> film to fill a 4:3 screen. It IS a 4:3 Film!!!

Cliff, my bet is that it's all your fault. So there.

I'll bet you have the monitor set to 4:3, and that the film is recorded as 16:9
anamorphic.

Set the monitor to 16:9.

The reason the film is showing up as 1:1 is that you have narrowed it by
1.333/1.777 = 0.75. You did this by telling the monitor to squeeze an anamorhic
16:9 image into a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The result is, 1.3333 * 0.75 = 1.0.

Surprise!