[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:37:57 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm using two players; a Sony BDP-S350 and a Philips BDP5005.

Manual for the Sony:  http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS350_US.pdf

Page 41:  Set TV Type to 4:3, set Screen Format to Fixed Aspect Ratio.

Page 42: Set DVD Aspect Ratio to Pan & Scan (only available when TV type is set to 4:3 and Screen Format set to Fixed Aspect Ratio.)

Manual for the Philips: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp5005_f7/bdp5005_f7_dfu_aen.pdf

Page 38: TV Shape: HOME > Settings > Advanced Setup > Video Output > TV Shape > 4:3 Pan & Scan. "To enjoy 16:9 picture on 4:3 monitor: Both sides of the picture are trimmed to fit the 4:3 TV without distorting the aspect ratio of the picture"

Looks to me as if both players should do exactly what you want them to do with The Wizard of Oz Blu-Ray.

You have to be missing a setting somewhere, Cliff.

John

John, I appreciate all the effort you are putting into this.

I followed your instructions and got a smaller *letterboxed* 4:3 image with these settings, and same on the Philips player.

Now there is a 1+ inch black border around the 4:3 image on the screen from both players.

The 12 inch Tek monitor now has an 8 inch diagonal image on it.
This is not underscan, you can see the raster out to the edge of the screen, wasting what? about 1/3 of the screen area.

This is not acceptable for any sort of use by anyone.

For a 1.33:1 film on a Blu-ray disk it is not possible to fill a 4:3 monitor screen in any player operating mode.

This is a huge miss by the manufacturers. If they are reading this, they should get back to work and fix it.

Cliff

JPEG image

JPEG image