[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:33:54 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

>> I'm with Bert on this one.
>
> Cliff replies:
> And Bert is wrong.

Damn, Cliff. I told you from the start what was happening. I told you that what
you should be seeing is a postage stamp, undistorted image, on your 4:3 HD
monitor. Explain why I was wrong, then.

The problem is that the BD movie is recorded with the pillars as part of the
data. In a 16:9 set, this is a regular anamorphic picture that fills the screen
(including the pillars). In a 4:3 set, this becomes a letterboxed wide screen
image, with built-in pillars as part of the data. So of course, it ends up
postage stamp.

You cannot zoom in, with the old monitor, so of course postage stamp is all you
can get.

By the way, back in 1998, I thought the TV dealers were nuts to be selling 4:3
HD monitors. I even mentioned it on here. Not only were the monitors ugly and
huge, it made it seem like those dealers didn't know what they were doing. HEY.
Don't you guys know that HD will be 16:9?