[opendtv] Re: 4KTV at CES

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:22:04 -0400

On Apr 16, 2013, at 6:58 PM, TLM <TLM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know that the lens is symmetrical, but maybe the different types of image
> sensor chips have differences in their sampling characteristics a la the
> above?
>
> Wow, more stuff to keep you up at night…..

Some people are making a big deal out of the rapid increase in sensor densities
- 10, 12, 14 MPixels.

What these people are failing to consider is the transformation in sensor
technology from CCDs to CMOS. The two are very different, and decades of
research and development went into the design of CCDs to improve image quality.
CMOS sensors use brute force and averaging to get the job done. More sensor
points allow for the creation of pixels at lower overall resolution by
averaging a bunch of CMOS samples to create one good pixel.

Resolution can be deceiving -but oversampling almost always improves the
quality of image acquisition.