[opendtv] Re: 4KTV at CES

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:41:33 -0400

On Apr 15, 2013, at 5:50 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The case for 4K is actually reasonable. It brings the image resolution in
> line with what a good but still affordable lens can deliver, on a large
> format (say 18mm X 24mm, like 35mm movies) image sensor. This would be a
> digital format that does what film was able to do for a very long time.
> Extract all the quality you can out of the lens.
>
> 4K mean 3840 X 2160 pixels, or 8.3 Mpel image. A good 35 mm lens averages
> about 70 lp/mm of resolution, across the frame. So in a movie format, that's
> the equivalent of about 8.5 Mpels.

The case for oversampling during production is compelling; this provides the
highest quality possible for venues that need the resolution like theaters, and
when resampled for other forms of distribution helps to reduce entropy, and
thus make compression more efficient.

Perhaps Bert needs to be reminded of a key concept that makes the new digital
media very different from the analog media it has (mostly) replaced. That
concept is DECOUPLING.

In essence, we now live in a world where Acquisition, Production and MANY forms
of Emission are decoupled.