[opendtv] Re: 4KTV at CES

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:45:53 -0400

There is a reason for 4k, even 8k.
One original (at least the master) plays everywhere. Theater, home, whatever. Until a few years ago theaters topped out at 2k. the conversion to 4k is underway.
Granted, theaters are currently playing RGB jpeg2000, not 4:2:0 yuv.

Frankly, the average consumer can't see the difference. They have never trained their eye to see it. Video professionals don't see like most people.

On 4/14/2013 7:58 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff Benham posted:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Let me say, perhaps young reporters should be made to read articles from 20+
years ago, on HDTV, just so they don't sound like a broken record to those of
us who remember.

By now, practically everyone has seen the benefits of HDTV. And yet, every argument made
in the article was made wrt HDTV. And never mind all the profuse hype about retina
displays, whose value would be even more questionable, if you take the first order
approximations of what resolution is "useful" too literally.

The comment that "no one will ever want an 80" TV set ever"? Déjà vu? Or the
cost arguments, that 4K displays are way too expensive? That one made me chuckle, especially
on this list!! (Time capsule: HDTVs were going to cost 10s of $K, so who in his right mind
would want one?)

As to the chart, my HDTV is 42" 1366 X 768. I typically sit about 14'-15' from
it. But I can tell you, if I get up and walk any closer to it, the pixels are
clearly visible. Plus, there's no reason to assume that the pixels becoming obvious
is all there is to determine what resolution does for the image. Ref. Retinal
displays.