[opendtv] Re: Dish offer for Sprint

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:15:50 -0400

On Apr 16, 2013, at 5:36 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The satellite broadcast portion of DBS is competing against wired two-way
> broadband Internet to homes. That's a tough battle to win. It will take full
> cooperation from the content owners, to keep their stuff strictly out of the
> Internet, to win that battle. But the young crowd ain't standing for those
> tactics.
>
> At least OTA has the potential to feed mobile devices.

You are prime evidence that age is not the major issue here. What's more, you
still devote a fair amount of time to watching traditional broadcast network
fare - most of the younger crowd gave up on this stuff a long time ago.

For what it is worth, the AT&T LTE service that was just launched here in
Gainesville is MUCH faster than my AT&T DSL service. IF local broadcast is
devalued by the networks several things can happen:

1. They may still be able to broadcast some network programming on a delayed
basis - AFTER it has aired on subscription networks. They already do this via
the syndication market, but MUCH later.

2. They can pool resources and create their own high value content - not likely.

3. They can take the money and run, allowing a much larger chunk of the
existing broadcast spectrum to be acquired by the mobile telcos, which in turn
will allow the telcos to obtain enough spectrum to support both broadcast and
unicast services.

If # 3 happens, the only viable path for existing broadcasters will be to move
to LTE broadcast so they can access mobile second screens; they simply WILL NOT
have enough leverage to drive another new broadcast standard.