[opendtv] Re: 20060912 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:09:17 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> And remember we are talking about the low power UK 2K system.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. The Gemini chip, with a lagging echo
tolerance of 60 usec, is a lot better than 8K COFDM at 1/16 GI. I was
comparing it to the 8K at 1/16 GI. Thanks for bringing that up.

In 2K mode, and 6 MHz channel, the 1/16 GI allows for echo tolerance of
18.6 usec.

Which goes to show that the echo situation was perhaps not all that bad,
if the 2K COFDM worked fine.

As to low power, again, successful reception of low power signal
requires good sensitivity in the tuner, low C/N margin, good selectivity
if you have strong adjacent channels, and so forth. So none of this
makes 8-VSB inherently less capable of low power reception. If anything,
it should be the other way around.

> I don't know any other way to say this. 8-VSB is junk!

I hope you can appreciate that this sort of comment doesn't advance any
understanding of the subject matter.